I can see clearly now....



I've been wearing eyeglasses for about half a year now, and my first pair was bought from an optometrist who just dropped by the office with her sets of lenses and eye test kits. So I had my first pair without a thorough check-up. The result was, I still had difficulty with my eyes even with my glasses on. Like my mom, I am nearsighted, and commuting was a bit challenge for me since I can't see the jeepney signboards at once. I even had to ask Lloyd what the signboards say before I hail the jeepney. I also can't see much in the mall especially if I have to meet someone. I needed to almost bump at someone to recognize him/her. And again, all these difficulties even with my glasses on. My lens grade then was -.50/-.25.

So finally last Monday, I went to Asia Pacific Eye Center to see the ophthalmologist together with my mom. There we found out that I should really be wearing a higher grade of lens. The doctor was surprised that my grade went up that high in less than 2 years. Or maybe, I was really just wearing a wrong one. So I needed to change my glasses to -1.75/-2.25 grade. Geez.

While at it, the doctor too made thorough check-up with my eyes and found out that I have optic nerves that are bigger than usual. Suspected Glaucoma. Wikipedia defines Glaucoma as an eye disease in which the optic nerve is damaged in a characteristic pattern which can permanently damage the vision of the affected eye. Am I gonna be blind?! I just hate it when doctors tell you that you could possibly have an illness that just sounds like so worse. But as he said, it's just suspected, because my optic pressure is still within normal range, which is a good sign. But still, early prevention is better than cure, so he recommended me for further diagnostics.

I called up the diagnostics center, AsPac Eye Laser Surgicenter to get myself an appointment. Their first instruction was: "Bawal ang puyat." And I went like, puyat? ano yun? With my work, how is that possible? Happily, my bosses approved my leave request last Friday night, hence I had my sleep marathon. :))

Saturday morning, feeling fresh and well-rested, I prepped up early for my scheduled check-up and headed to AsPac. They were just beside CM Morales Mall and Pavilion Mall in Binan. Luckily, there were not much patients lined up, and though I arrived 20mins late, they still accommodated me.

I had three diagnostics test: Disc Photo, OCT for glaucoma, and visual field perimetry. The two personnel who assisted me helpfully explained to me the purpose of each test, what to expect, and what their initial findings were and the possibilities that I may have glaucoma. The Disc Photo took a snapshot of my eyes, focusing mainly on the nerves. The technician said, in glaucoma, it is the optic nerve that is really affected. It is when one's nerves are bigger than 0.3 inches. Mine was 0.6. Whoa. But he added that 90% of suspected glaucoma cases were just born merely with bigger nerves, but were cleared from Glaucoma. I maybe one of them. Next text was the OCT or Optical Coherence Tomography. It is more like the CT Scan for eyes which scans like a bar code and does a thorough check of the eyes. The technician even saw which of my eye has the highest astigmatism. Last was the Visual Field Perimetry. It is more like a video game which measures the capability of the peripheral vision. Ivan, the technician, said in glaucoma, it is the peripheral vision that's first affected. Hence it aimed to check if I can still see even the smallest detail from my peripherals. So when all my tests were done, I would just have to wait for the doctor's call for interpretation once they received the results.

Earlier, while doing last minute shopping, I received a call from the eye clinic informing me they already have my results and that I can drop by to speak with my doctor. Good thing that the supermarket is just a few blocks away from the clinic, so I just waited until the doctor arrives at the clinic.

As for the results, well, doctor just told me too many jargons and medical terms that I am not confident in writing such. But basically, if there are three qualifiers on Glaucoma symptoms, I have 1/3. That makes me still a suspected glaucoma case and will be required another series of tests after six months for possible progressions. Good thing I have my health card that covers all these procedures. And I really do hope I'll be cleared from this.

Oh and by the way, I already have my new set of eyeglasses, now with a higher grade and with a clearer vision. Finally, I can sing, "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone..." :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Leave your mark, please? :)